Baggage and Pet travel policy
Flights operated by Smartavia are allowed the following free baggage allowances:
|Fare group||Checked baggage|
|Smart Pro||1 pieces up to 23 kg|
|Smart||1 piece up to 23 kg|
For each baggage piece, the sum of 3 dimensions may not exceed 203 cm.Individual packages may not be combined to form a piece of luggage, nor may bundles be tied a suitcase, bag, etc.
The above free baggage allowances are in effect for adult passengers, children aged 2 to 12 and infants under 2 years old travelling on a separate seat.
For infants under 2 years old travelling on an adult’s lap, free baggage allowance is limited to one the sum of 3 dimensions may not exceed 115 cm piece up to 10 kg.
Holders of VIP cards under Smartavia’s Loyalty Program are entitled to one additional free piece of baggage up to 23 kg/203 cm.
For seafarers with USC tickets, free baggage allowance is 2 pieces, each with maximum weight or 23 kg and the sum of three dimensions not more than 203 cm.
On some of its routes, the Airline has the right to change Smart- and Smart Pro-fare free baggage allowance upward or downward.
All passenger baggage, with exception of items that passengers may need to use on board, must be presented at check-in for weighing.
Meat products, homemade cheeses in brine, fruit and berry products may not be transported in checked baggage unless stowed in appropriate packaging (thermal package or plastic packaging).
On flights where Smartavia is a marketing partner, the operator's baggage rules apply.
During check-in and/or baggage check-in, passengers are required to present for weighing all baggage intended for transportation as checked baggage.
At check-in and/or boarding gate, passengers may be required by the carrier to present their hand luggage, as well as backpack, baby cot, and stroller when transporting a child, for weighing.
Flights operated by Smartavia are allowed the following carry-on baggage allowances:
|Fare group||Carry-on baggage|
up to 10 kg
Dimensions 40х30х20 cm
up to 10 kg
Dimensions 40х30х20 cm
up to 10 kg
Dimensions 40х30х20 cm
According to para.133 and 135 of Federal Aviation Rules 82, the following items can be carried as hand luggage free of charge and in excess of free baggage allowance if they can be placed safely and securely in the cabin:
- A packed backpack or a handbag, or a briefcase(with dimensions 30x25x7 cm and weighing up to 3 kg);
- items purchased at the airport’s duty-free shops, packed in a sealed plastic bag with dimensions of 30х25х7 cm and weighing up to 2 kg;
- medicines, special dietary products in the amount required for the duration of the flight;
- a bouquet of flowers;
- umbrella or stick umbrella (not parasol);
- baby food for the child during the flight;
- a suit in a garment bag(the suit bag should not contain any other items in its hidden pockets. Transportation in the suit bag of items other than the suit is not allowed);
- a child-carrying device (cradle, restraint systems (devices) for children under two years old, stroller and other devices) when transporting a child, the dimensions of which correspond to the carry-on baggage allowance and allow them to be safely placed in the overhead compartment above the passenger seat or under the seat in front of the passenger seat;
- crutches, walking sticks, walkers, rollators, a folding wheelchair for use by the passenger and with dimensions that allow them to be safely placed in the overhead compartment above the passenger seat or under the seat in front of the passenger seat.
If a carry-on baggage item cannot be placed safely in the cabin, it will be transported as checked baggage subject to the terms and conditions of the air carriage agreement.
The carry-on baggage and items specified in Sec.135 of Federal Aviation Rules 82 must fit freely in the calibrator (gauge) at the departure airport.
Carry-on baggage allowances for the following passengers are not combined. The maximum size of one piece of hand luggage accepted for carriage without additional payment is 40x30x20cm
The weight and dimensions of carry-on baggage are checked:
- during check-in; and
- at boarding gate
If it turns out that passenger’s carry-on baggage is in excess of the allowed limit, the passenger will be asked to pay the excess fee at the nearest check stand. At the airports of Pulkovo (St. Petersburg), Murmansk and Arkhangelsk, payment can be made at check-in counter, in cash or by credit card.
In the event the passenger misses the flight for reasons of being required to pay for excess carry-on, the airline will not be not liable for any expenditures that may be incurred by such passenger with regard to re-booking.
The Airline has the right to deny carriage if the excess baggage fee has not been paid.
Meat products, homemade cheeses in brine, fruit and berry products may not be transported in hand luggage unless stowed in appropriate packaging (thermal package or plastic packaging).
Safety and integrity of hand luggage and items specified in para. 135 of the Federal Aviation Regulations are the responsibility of passengers.
|Baggage category||Conditions of carriage|
|One set of skiing gear in a bag weighing not more than 23 kg (one piece). The contents of the set: skis, snowboard and poles, boots, helmet.2||Can be free of charge and in excess of free baggage allowance only if your ticket includes checked baggage allowance. If your fare is Smart Light, transportation of skiing gear is subject to a fee. The sum of three dimensions is ignored.|
|Other sports equipment (e.g. bicycle, golf gear, ice hockey equipment, etc.) 3||Considered as one piece and is included in free baggage allowance.|
|Pet in cabin (except for guide dogs accompanying blind/deaf passengers). Read more||НNot included in free baggage allowance.
To be paid at extra baggage rate.
|Pet in cargo hold||Not included in free baggage allowance.
To be paid at extra baggage rate. If the weight or dimensions of the pet and the cage exceed the allowance established for one baggage piece, additional payment is charged.
2In the event of doubt concerning the contents of the set of skiing gear, such set may be examined by the Airline or its authorized persons. In the event the set is found to contain items that are not related to ski equipment, passenger is obliged to pay for their carriage subject to the conditions provided for by the air carriage contract.
3Bicycles are subject to the following conditions:
- bicycle must be properly packed in a special paper box or protective film to prevent movement of the front wheel fork;
- handlebars should be attached to the bicycle;
- pedals should be disconnected;
- not more than 2 pieces (frame + separately packed wheels) can be regarded as one.
A scooter can be carried in hand luggage if it has a folding mechanism, packaging or a cover and corresponds to the approved weight and dimensions of the ticket fare.
Hockey equipment: a bag with hockey kit + a bag with 2 hockey sticks or a pair of skates, not more than 2 pieces.
Fishing rods, spinning rods and other fishing gear as one set (one piece) weighing not more than 23 kilograms per passenger (the size rule of three dimensions is ignored).
If the amount of passenger's baggage pieces exceeds the allowance indicated on the ticket, or if the weight and/or size of the equipment exceeds free baggage allowance, the corresponding baggage fare will be applied.
In some cases, as an exception and with Smartavia’s prior consent, items of larger weight or dimensions may be accepted for carriage, subject to the aircraft’s basic specifications such as type, payload, volume of cargo compartments, dimensions of loading hatches and doors.
Passengers are not recommended to carry in their checked baggage fragile and perishable items, banknotes, jewelry, precious metals, securities and other valuables, business documents, keys and related items.
The Airline has the right to change free baggage allowance/size of baggage/carry-on baggage for some of its destinations/flights/fare groups/categories of passengers.
Excess baggage is the portion of baggage that exceeds the free baggage allowance and is subject to payment.
If the number of pieces or dimensions, or weight of your baggage exceeds the established free baggage allowance, such baggage can be transported for an additional fee at the current baggage rates. In the event free baggage allowance is exceeded in several categories of baggage, the total baggage rate will be the sum of the corresponding excess baggage rates.
Excess baggage is accepted for carriage by prior agreement with the Airline.
A passenger who wishes to carry excess baggage should inform the Airline in advance (when booking a seat or at the time of purchasing a ticket) about the weight and number of excess baggage pieces. Failure to comply with this rule gives the Airline the right to refuse to accept such baggage for carriage.
Oversized (baggage of an unusual shape) or heavy baggage is accepted for carriage, provided that the dimensions of the aircraft’s loading hatches and baggage and cargo compartments allow for loading and unloading of such baggage, and is subject to the availability of appropriate equipment for pre-flight inspection and handling operations at points of departure, transfer or destination.
Transportation of oversized baggage, heavy baggage, service dogs, pets or birds is paid based on its (their) actual weight, dimensions and number of pieces allowed by corresponding baggage rates, and additionally to passenger’s other items carried as checked baggage.
Exceptions (items with dimensions that do not allow their safe placement in the overhead compartment above the passenger’s seat or under the seat in front of the passenger’s seat. Such items are not subject to any additional fee) and include:
- guide dog accompanying a blind passenger;
- wheelchairs, crutches, canes, walkers, rollators used by disabled passengers and persons with disabilities;
- baby stroller.
Excess baggage payment procedure
- Passengers are requested to pay for their excess baggage in advance when booking.
- The excess baggage fee is charged at the airport of departure at the beginning of the journey for the entire route or to the point of transfer indicated on the ticket.
- The excess baggage fee is charged for each flight segment and is calculated by adding together the baggage fares applicable to all segments of the route.
- If a passenger wishes to increase the weight and quantity of items in excess of baggage carriage or in excess of the paid weight at an intermediate airport, there is an additional fee to be paid for the section starting at the airport of transfer/transit to the destination indicated on the ticket.
- Should the weight of the baggage be reduced, no refund or recalculation is made.
- Excess baggage may not be carried on credit.
The Airline has the right to deny transportation of a passenger and their baggage, if the passenger refuses to pay for their excess baggage or items that are subject to excess baggage rates.
The information about the aforegoing service is for informational purposes only and can under no circumstances be deemed a public offer as defined in the provisions of para. 2, Article 437 of the Civil Code of the Russian Federation.
For flights operated under code-share agreement with Red Wings, excess baggage cannot be paid online or via the call center for technical reasons. Please book this service at the airport before departure.
At the request of passengers traveling together with the same purpose of travel and to the same destination or a point of stopover on the same flight (family members, persons traveling as a group or on business trip), and when such passengers are travelling under the air carriage contract that provides for free baggage allowance, their baggage can be combined taking into account the amount of free baggage allowance by weight per each passenger.
The weight of each piece of combined baggage should not exceed thirty kilograms and the of sum of three dimensions of 203 cm and is not subject to any additional fee.
In the event the weight of a piece of combined baggage exceeds thirty kilograms, payment for such baggage is subject to the rules applicable to excess baggage. Such baggage will be checked in for each individual passenger.
Passengers are allowed to carry in their hand luggage the following items:
Liquids, gels, aerosols in max.100 ml containers that are placed in a transparent plastic bag with a volume of not more than 1 liter. Each passenger is allowed one such bag.
Liquids in containers with a capacity of more than 100 ml will not be accepted for carriage even if the container is only partially filled, with exception of:
- medicines, special dietary products, baby food, including breast milk, in the amount required for the flight;
- medicinal products containing narcotic drugs, psychotropic substances and their precursors, subject to the availability of documents stipulated by the international treaties of the Russian Federation, including acts constituting the law of the Eurasian Economic Union, and/or the legislation of the Russian Federation, as confirmation of these medicinal products having been prescribed to the passenger with an indication of their name, quantity, and the amount required for the duration of the flight;
- biological materials, provided that the passenger has relevant documents stipulated by the international treaties of the Russian Federation, including acts constituting the law of the Eurasian Economic Union, and/or the legislation of the Russian Federation establishing the Procedure for the Transportation of Biological Materials. Biological materials are accepted for transportation only by prior agreement with the airline.
Liquids and alcoholic beverages with alcohol content of not more than 24% by volume must be carried in checked baggage.
Alcoholic drinks with alcohol content of more than 24%, but not more than 70%, by volume must be transported in checked baggage in containers with a capacity of not more than 5 liters, in containers intended for retail trade – not more than 5 liters per passenger.
Goods purchased at airport’s duty-free shops or onboard the aircraft must be packed in a sealed plastic bag with dimensions of 40x30x20 cm and weighing from 0.1 kg to 2 kg, and such plastic bag must bear confirmation of the fact that the purchase was made at airport’s duty-free shops or onboard the aircraft on the day(s) of travel.
We remind you that when departing from EU airports, passengers are not allowed to carry liquids or gels purchased in Duty Free shops outside the EU or onboard an aircraft not registered in the EU.
Passengers are requested to put liquids and gels in their luggage, or have them packed in transparent plastic bags, in advance.
To avoid delays in flight departures, we kindly ask passengers to arrive at the airport well in advance.
Fragile Baggage is defined by Smartavia as baggage for which it declares a limitation of its liability.
The following can be accepted for carriage, at check-in, by agreement with Smartavia representative:
- dinnerware set, china, ceramics, TV and other fragile items, provided that Smartavia will not be liable for loss of their integrity.
Musical instruments can be transported in luggage compartment or in cabin. When carried in cabin, musical instruments are subject to “baggage on passenger seat” rules. Oversized musical instruments are not included in free baggage allowance.
When carried in cabin, musical instruments are regarded as carry-on baggage and are not subject to any additional charge provided that:
- the passenger carrying a musical instrument does not have any additional hand luggage;
- musical instruments have dimensions that do not exceed 55x40x20 cm and their weight does not exceed the weight of hand luggage allowed by the fare.
If a passenger carries additional hand luggage along with a musical instrument or if the dimensions established for musical instruments are exceeded, such musical instruments will be transported in cargo compartment as checked baggage (subject to conditions of the fare).
Transportation of a musical instrument in a separate passenger seat is subject to Cabin Baggage service. This service can be booked when purchasing the air ticket.
Baggage in cabin is defined as baggage, the carriage of which requires special precautions (for example, valuable, fragile, breakable items) and which can therefore be carried in the cabin. Transportation of such baggage is subject to prior agreement with Smartavia.
Such baggage will be inspected by the aviation security services.
Delivery to and from the aircraft, as well as placement onboard the aircraft, of baggage transportable in cabin are the responsibility of passenger.
If such baggage has large dimensions, the passenger is required to book, and pay for, a separate seat for such baggage at applicable passenger fare. The weight of such baggage does not exceed 80 kg, dimensions 70x36x43 cm. In case of exceeding the specified dimensions for any of the parameters, confirmation from the Airline is required. Such baggage will be placed in the window seat and secured with a seat belt. Such baggage is carried as unchecked and its safety is the responsibility of the passenger.
Baggage in cabin: payment procedure
The ‘baggage in cabin’ fee will be charged when buying a ticket or when checking in the baggage at the airport of departure.
The fare for the carriage of baggage in passenger seat corresponds to the fare for the carriage of an adult passenger valid at the time of carriage. Such fare is not subject to discounts, nor can be calculated according to a group fare.
The ‘baggage in cabin’ ticket does not include free baggage allowance.
For inflight safety reasons, folding wheelchairs with dimensions that do not allow them to be safely placed in the aircraft cabin will be carried as checked baggage (in excess of the established allowance) free of charge.
Wheelchair passengers should notify the Airline in advance to avoid possible inconveniences.
Wheelchairs with dry-charged batteries will be carried in luggage compartment, provided that their battery is disconnected, the battery clip is insulated to rule out accidental short circuit, and the battery is securely attached to the wheelchair.
Wheelchairs with wet-storage batteries will be carried in luggage compartment, provided that their battery is disconnected, the battery clip is insulated, the battery is duly packed and bears due marking.
Strollers (including umbrella strollers) will be carried free of charge as checked baggage in excess of the allowed norm, always provided that the passenger is travelling with a child.
The use of an umbrella stroller is possible until the airstairs, at which point it will be handed over to the Airline’s employee or a service agent for placement in baggage compartment.
The stroller will be returned to the passenger at the airport’s baggage delivery area.
Strollers bearing a DAA tag (Delivery At Aircraft) will be issued at the side of the aircraft.
Weapons, ammunition and non-lethals can be accepted for carriage only with Smartavia’s prior consent.
Weapons, including sporting and military weapons and their spare parts, can be accepted for transportation provided that the passenger has presented a carrying permit and relevant travel authorization (order).
Pneumatic devices are classified as civilian weapons and must be transported in accordance with the procedure established by the Russian legislation.
Domestically produced electroshock weapon and spark arresters are classified as civilian weapons and will be transported in the manner prescribed for other weapons. A passenger transporting electroshock weapon is required to carry a document specifying technical characteristics of their weapon for verification, by representatives of the Ministry of Internal Affairs, of their output parameters with the established national standards of the Russian Federation. The use of electroshock weapon of foreign manufacture is prohibited and, consequently, may not be accepted for transportation.
Weapons, ammunition and non-lethals that have been accepted for carriage, will be carried as checked baggage in cargo compartments after having been duly examined and packed. Weapon and ammunition will be carried in separate packages.
Citizens of the Russian Federation may carry not more than 5 units of weapon per person.
Ammunition (cartridges) are considered as dangerous goods, their acceptance for transportation is limited and amounts to no more than 5 kg per passenger, excluding explosive or incendiary bullets.
Weapons and ammunition are counted as one piece and are included in your free checked baggage allowance. If your ticket fare is Lite, payment will be calculated at the rate for an additional piece of excess baggage.
Weapons, ammunition and special equipment are not seized for the duration of the flight from employees of the Federal Security Service of the Russian Federation who are on duty (who have official foreign passports, service and travel certificates of the established form), as well as from armed employees of the State Courier Service of the Russian Federation, Intergovernmental Courier Communications , accompanying postal items (correspondence), having a note on the presence of weapons and ammunition in the travel certificate (order).
Transfer carriage of and through check-in of a passenger carrying weapons are prohibited due to the need to reissue weapons for a connecting flight at transfer point.
If the route of the aircraft runs across the state border, the issue of carrying weapons onboard must be adjusted in advance by the passenger with relevant authorities of the states concerned in order to comply with the current laws and regulations of these states. The passenger must have permission from competent authorities of the state in question to enter the country with weapon.
Weapon packaging requirements:
- all weapons must be unloaded;
- the weapon must be packed properly to avoid damage during transportation and loading.
Ammunition packaging requirements
Ammunition must be:
- packed separately from firearms;
- packed in a durable container made of wood and metal;
- secured, inside the container, so as avoid impact and movement.
Passengers may not carry during the flight:
- firearms, gas weapons and ammunition for them;
- cold arms of all types;
- piercing and cutting items.
Passengers transporting weapon should arrive at the airport at least 2 hours before the flight departure.
The following items may not be carried in checked baggage or hand baggage:
- pistols, revolver guns, rifles, battle rifles and other firearms, gas, pneumatic weapons, electroshock weapon, daggers, steels, knife-bayonets, except in cases provided for in the legislation of the Russian Federation;
- small-sized, lithium battery-powered personal transportation vehicles.
Payment for transportation of weapons and ammunition can be effected only at the check-in at the airport.
PEDs (including electronic cigarettes, pipes, vaporizers for personal use, as well as power supplies and spare batteries) that contain lithium batteries may be transported only in carry-on baggage and may not be carried in checked baggage.
Spare batteries and power supplies must be protected against short circuits by being placed in individual packaging or by way of insulating their terminals (terminals must be insulated or placed in a separate plastic bag or protective case).
The above restrictions apply also at transfer airports to transfer passengers who are traveling with other airlines. Please check PEDs transportation rules at the official website of the airline operating your connecting flight.
Passengers are prohibited to carry onboard the aircraft, in checked baggage or in carry-on baggage, small-sized, lithium battery-powered personal transportation vehicles.
Small-sized personal transportation vehicles include:
- electric unicycles;
- segways (mini-segways);
- gyro scooters;
- electric scooters.
The above items can be carried on Smartavia flights as checked baggage, provided that the lithium battery is removed from the vehicle. The lithium battery can only be carried in carry-on baggage, provided that its power does not exceed the established norm of 160 Watt-hour (Wh, W/h).
A small-sized vehicle with a built-in (non-removable) lithium battery can be transported as "dangerous cargo" and will be checked in through the airport’s cargo terminal.
The following items and substances are allowed to be carried on board the aircraft by crew members and passengers subject to the following requirements:
- In checked baggage transported in aircraft’s cargo and baggage compartments without passengers’ access during the flight:
- a medical thermometer containing mercury, in a standard case – one per passenger;
- crossbows, spearguns, sticks, sabers, hatchets, scimitars, broadswords, swords, steels, bayonets, daggers, knives – hunting knives, knives with ejecting blades, knives with locks; weapon imitators of any type, household knives (scissors) with a blade length over 60 mm;
- alcoholic drinks with alcohol content of more than 24%, but not more than 70% by volume, in containers with a capacity of not more than 5 liters – in tare intended for retail trade – not more than 5 liters per passenger; liquids and alcoholic beverages with alcohol content of not more than 24% by volume;
- aerosols intended for sporting or household purposes, which have protection on the outlet valves of their canisters from spontaneous release of the contents – in containers with a capacity of no more than 0.5 kg or 500 ml – not more than 2 kg or 2 liters per passenger;
- In carry-on baggage:
- a medical thermometer that does not contain mercury;
- disposable lighters – one per passenger;
- dry ice for cooling perishable foods – not more than 2 kg per passenger;
- 3% hydrogen peroxide – not more than 100 ml per passenger;
- non-hazardous liquids, gels and aerosols – in containers with a capacity of no more than 100 ml (or equivalent capacity in other volume units), packed in a securely closing transparent plastic bag with a volume of no more than 1 liter – one bag per passenger;
- lithium battery-powered portable electronic devices (including electronic cigarettes, pipes, vaporizers for personal use, as well as power supplies and spare batteries) may be carried only in carry-on baggage and may not carried in checked baggage.
Spare batteries and power supplies must be protected against short circuits by being placed in individual packaging or by way of insulating their terminals (terminals must be insulated or placed in a separate plastic bag or protective case). More about transportation of lithium batteries
Liquids in containers with a capacity of more than 100 ml will not accepted for carriage in carry-on baggage even if the container is only partially filled. Exceptions are medicines, baby food and special dietary needs.
Liquids purchased at airport’s duty-free shops or onboard the aircraft must be packed in a securely sealed (sealed) plastic bag that provides identification of access to contents during the flight and that bears confirmation of the fact that the purchase was made at the airport’s duty-free shops or onboard the aircraft on the day(s) of travel.
Administrations of airport, airlines and operators have the right to introduce extra air safety measures on heightened danger flights, which may prohibit transportation in cabin of the following items:
- hypodermic needles (unless medical justification is provided);
- knitting needles;
- scissors with blade length of more than 60 mm;
- folding pocket knives (without a fixing mechanism) and penknives with blade length less than 60 mm.
Dangerous items permitted for carriage in passenger baggage only with prior agreement of Smartavia
The following dangerous items can be permitted in passenger baggage subject to Smartavia’s consent:
- dry ice in an amount not exceeding 2 kg, which is used as packaging for non-hazardous perishable goods – in checked baggage, provided that the packaging allows carbon dioxide to escape;
- portable gas cylinders with air or oxygen for medical purposes – in checked or carry-on baggage;
- securely packed ammunition for personal sporting weapons (category 1.45) – only in checked baggage in an amount not exceeding 5 kg (gross) per passenger – excluding ammunition with explosive or incendiary charges. Allowances per passenger cannot be combined;
- wheelchairs and other mobility aids with dry batteries – only in checked baggage, provided that the battery is disconnected and the clips are isolated to prevent accidental short circuits, and the battery itself is firmly attached to the wheelchair or electric drive;
- wheelchairs or vehicles with electrolytic batteries – subject to special conditions, in checked baggage only;
- one portable carbon dioxide cylinder built into lifejacket plus one spare cylinder – in checked or carry-on baggage;
- heating devices such as underwater lights (diving lamps) and soldering tools – in checked baggage only. The heating element or power source must be removed;
- small oxygen generator for personal use – subject to special conditions, in checked baggage only.
The following dangerous substances and items are prohibited from carriage onboard the aircraft, by the crew members and passengers, in checked baggage or carry-on baggage:
- Explosives, blasting supplies and items filled with explosive matter:
- Gunpowder, no matter its packaging and quantity;
- live cartridges (including small-caliber ones);
- gas weapon cartridges;
- hunting caps (pistons);
- pyrotechnic means – signal and lighting flares and cartridges;
- flare and signal pots, smoke cartridges (pots), slow matches, Bengal lights, railway detonating cartridges;
- TNT, dynamite, trilite, ammonal and other explosives;
- detonator caps, electric detonators, electric igniters, detonating and fuse cords, etc.
- Compressed and liquefied gases:
- gases for domestic use (butane-propane) and other gases;
- gas cartridges filled with nerve and tear gas, etc.
- Flammable liquids:
- acetone, gasoline, samples of flammable petroleum products, methanol, methyl acetate (methyl ether), carbon disulfide, ethyl cellosol ethers.
- Flammable solids:
- self-igniting substances;
- substances emitting flammable gases when interacting with water – potassium, sodium, calcium metal and their alloys, calcium phosphide, etc.;
- white, yellow or red phosphorus and all other substances classified as flammable solids;
- Oxidizing agents and organic peroxides:
- nitrocellulose colloidal, in granules or flakes, dry or wet, containing less than 25% water or solvent;
- colloidal nitrocellulose, in lumps, wet, containing less than 25% alcohol;
- nitrocellulose, dry or wet, containing less than 30% solvent or 20% water, etc.
- Toxic substances;
- Radioactive materials;
- Caustic and corrosive substances:
- strong inorganic acids – hydrochloric, sulfuric, nitric and other acids;
- hydrofluoric (fluoric) acid and other strong acids and corrosive substances.
- Poisonous and toxic substances:
- any potent poisonous and toxic substances in liquid or solid state, no matter their container;
- Brucine, nicotine, strychnine, tetrahydrofurfuryl alcohol, antifreeze, brake fluid, ethylene glycol, mercury, excluding mercury contained in medical thermometer, mercury tonometer in a standard case, mercury barometer or mercury manometer – in sealed container bearing shipper’s seal; all hydrocyanic acid salts and cyanide preparations cyclone, cyanide, arsenous anhydride, etc.;
- other dangerous substances, items and cargoes that can be used as weapon to attack passengers or flight crew or endanger the flight.
- pistols, revolver guns, rifles, battle rifles and other firearms, gas, pneumatic weapons, electroshock weapon, daggers, steels, knife-bayonets, except in cases provided for in the legislation of the Russian Federation;
- other dangerous substances, items and cargoes that can be used as weapon to attack passengers or flight crew or endanger the flight.
- Transportation of Urns with ashes may not be carried in carry-on baggage or checked baggage and can only be transported in cargo hold.
In the event a passenger is not issued their checked baggage upon arrival at their destination or stopover, such passenger should contact the Airline’s representative or service agent for relevant forms of documents.
The Airline’s representative or service agent will draw up a missing baggage statement and register passenger’s contact phone number and the address for baggage delivery.
The missing baggage statement will be signed by the passenger, the airport shift manager and the Airline’s representative. The act should be drawn up immediately before the passenger leaves the airport.
Abandoned, forgotten or mishandled baggage, the carriage of which has been paid for at the corresponding baggage rate, will be sent to its destination or stopover at no additional charge.
In the event of loss of baggage, claims should be filed with the Airline:
- within six months from the date of the occurrence of the event that gave rise to the claim – in case of a domestic carriage;
- within eighteen months from the date of arrival of the aircraft at the destination airport or from the day when the aircraft should have arrived, or from the date of termination of air transportation – in case of an international carriage.
Baggage is considered lost if it has not been found during within 21 days of search following the day on which it should have arrived at its destination.
The claim must be submitted within the specified time frame and be accompanied with all required documents confirming the passenger's right to claim reimbursement, including ticket, paid baggage receipt, tear-off coupon of a numbered baggage label, property irregularity report, etc. The value of claim must be proven by the person concerned.
Any delay in the delivery of baggage to destination entitles a passenger to compensation in accordance with Article 120 of the RF Air Code.
In the event the baggage has arrived in a damaged condition, the passenger should contact the service agent for drawing up of a relevant property irregularity report to be signed by the person receiving the baggage, the airport shift manager and Smartavia’s representative. The property irregularity report must be drawn up immediately after the irregularity has been discovered and before the passenger leaves the airport.
Where the baggage has been damaged, the passenger receiving it should submit a written claim to the carrier – within 7 days, in case of an international carriage, from the date of receipt of the baggage. In the event of a delay in delivery, the claim should be filed within 21 days from the date the baggage was handed over to the recipient.
In case of a domestic carriage, the term for filing the damage claim is 6 months from the day following the day of baggage receipt.
When travelling from the Russian Federation to destinations in near- or far- abroad countries, you are welcome to check in for the flight and have your baggage checked to your final destination, provided that:
- you check in, at your departure airport, as a transfer passenger and your baggage in checked in as transfer baggage to your final destination, and that you do not carry any items that are subject to written customs declaration in accordance with the customs legislation of the Customs Union. The list of goods subject to mandatory written declaration is available at: web page of the Eurasian Economic Commission GARANT Documents RF Government Regulation N 637 dd. 10 July 2014 “Concerning Simplified Procedure for Customs Operations”;
- the conditions and restrictions that used in classifying goods as goods subject to written declaration are established by Article 260 of the EEC Customs Code and EEC Council Resolution N107 dd. 20.12.2017 “On issues concerning goods for personal use,” and by Customs Union Commission Resolution N311 dd. 18.06.2010 “On the Procedure for customs operations in relation to goods for personal use that are transported across the customs border of the Eurasian Economic Union, or goods for personal use that are imported temporarily into the customs territory of the Union, the release of such goods and reflection of the fact of their being not subject to customs control”;
- compliance with the above requirements does not relieve transfer passengers of their duty to observe all other requirements of the customs legislation of the Customs Union and the customs legislation of the Russian Federation, nor of the liability for non-compliance with the customs legislation.
Pet travel policy
Pets and birds are accepted for air carriage on Smartavia passenger flights in strict accordance with the requirements of the veterinary service and other state authorities of the destination, subject to the following conditions:
- animals are accepted for carriage only if accompanied by adult passengers with valid air tickets;
- passengers wishing to carry a small pet/bird must inform Smartavia about their intention not later than the moment of booking or purchase of the ticket;
- passengers wishing to carry pets must submit to Smartavia the documents (veterinary passport; certificate from a veterinary station or duly stamped air ticket) confirming that the pet is healthy;
- pets (birds) are accepted for carriage if placed in pet carrier (cage/container);
- pet carrier must be made of plastic, fiberglass, metal, welded mesh or wood, or dense textiles;
- pet carrier must be spacious enough for the animal to be able to stand, lie and turn naturally;
- pet carrier must be clean and odorless and have ventilation holes and safe locking device to prevent accidental opening. The ventilation holes must be small enough to prevent animal injury from squeezing parts of body through them and guarantee protection from animal bites or scratch;
- the bottom of the pet carrier must be tight, waterproof and covered with non-toxic absorbent material. Its design must have a raised side along its perimeter to prevent spillage of absorbent material. The pet carrier must have handles for easy transportation. If the weight of a carrier with the pet inside is more than 23 kg, there must be minimum two handles;
- bird cage must be covered with dense, opaque cloth.
Allowed for transportation in passenger cabin are:
- guide dogs accompanying visually impaired passengers – free of charge in excess of the established free baggage allowance and with no weight limit;
- dogs, cats, monkeys, singing birds (canaries, small parrots, etc.), the weight of which together with their carrier/cage does not exceed 12 kg.
The following are not accepted for carriage as a special type of non-standard baggage or cargo:
- reptiles (turtle, iguana, gecko, chameleon, snake, lizard, frog, etc.);
- sick and experimental animals/birds;
- arthropods (arachnids, crustaceans);
- fish and fish seed, marine and river animals requiring transportation in water;
- untamed animals and birds (wildlife);
- large predators – wildlife species;
- animals weighing more than 50 kg together with container.
It is not allowed to place two or more pets in one carrier (cage), except in cases agreed with the Airline. The sum of three dimensions of the cage/pet carrier to be transported in passenger cabin should not exceed 115 cm.
Smartavia will not be liable for possible losses, delays, illness or death of pet/bird, nor for any possible refusal to admit the pet/bird to the country of transfer, stop-over or destination.
Transportation of pets/birds in passenger cabin or in cargo compartments of the aircraft is paid in accordance with the Airline's tariff regulations . The weight of caged pet/bird is not included in the passenger's free baggage allowance.
Pets weighing less than 12 kg together with carrier/cage are allowed for transportation in passenger cabin.
The sum of three sides of the pet carrier/cage should not exceed 115 cm.
The pet carrier/cage must meet all the requirements, otherwise the pet/bird may not be accepted for registration and transportation.
During the flight, the carrier/cage must be placed under the seat or at the feet of the passenger.
It is not allowed to feed pets during and the animal to be released from the container / cage the flight.
Antagonistic animals, such as cat and dog, cat and bird, may not be carried in the same section of the passenger cabin.
Passengers carrying live animals cannot be allocated seats near emergency exits, galley, and lavatory.
Pets/birds weighing more than 12 kg together with the carrier/cage are transported in cargo compartments of the aircraft.
The Airline may deny transportation is any of the above requirements are
In accordance with the rules for transportation of pets in passenger cabin, brachycephalic breeds (breeds with shortened snouts – pug, Pekingese, Shih Tzu, boxer, griffon, bulldog, etc.) may be transported only in passenger cabin as hand luggage as breeds that are highly sensitive to temperature changes and stress exposure. These dog breeds may not be transported as cargo in cargo bays and require an indemnity statement to be filled out (this document is to be transferred to representative prior to departure).
Passengers with guide dogs are requested to inform the Airline of their being accompanied by the dog when booking a ticket as guide dogs are not included in the quota for the transportation of pets on board the aircraft.
Passengers travelling with guide dogs are allowed to carry them uncaged and free of charge in passenger cabin, provided that:
- the visually impaired passenger has presented a document confirming their disability;
- an official confirmation is presented of the dog’s having been specially trained;
- the dog has a collar, is muzzled and tied to the seat at the feet of the passenger it accompanies.
Passengers traveling guide dogs are provided with seats at the end of the aircraft cabin (except for seats near emergency exits).
In accordance with the Uniform Veterinary (Epidemiological and Hygienic) Requirements to Goods Subject to Veterinary Control (Supervision), approved by Customs Union Commission Resolution N 317 dd. June 18, 2010, and given the absence at State Border-Crossing Point of the Russian Federation – Airport Arkhangelsk (Talagi) – of a facility for temporary accommodation of live animals, owners found in violation of the veterinary requirements to animals arriving from foreign states, may be prohibited to take their animals from the aircraft and required to have them returned (removed from the territory of the Russian Federation), as stated in Sec.9.4 of the Regulations on the Unified Procedure for Veterinary Control at the Customs Border of the Customs Union and on the Customs Territory of the Customs Union", approved by Customs Union Commission Resolution N 317 dd. June 18, 2010.
Decisions in the event of violation can include elimination of the animal at the checkpoint.
Information and counselling on veterinary checks can be obtained at the veterinary control post (VCP) of Airport Arkhangelsk (Talagi): landline (8182) 63 11 52, cell 8 921 819 96 13.
- The Airline has the right to refuse carriage of an animal if there is no confirmed booking or if the passenger refuses to pay for the carriage of live animal.
- The Airline will not be liable for any deterioration in animal’s health that may occur before, during or after the flight.
- The Airline will not be liable in the event the country of destination or transit prohibits the entry or transit of the animal.
Liability of passengers flying with pets
- Passengers flying with pets must comply with all requirements as may be established by Smartavia and veterinary control authorities regarding the transportation of animals on board the aircraft.
- Passengers flying with pets must reimburse the Airline all and any losses or extra expenses that may arise from in-flight emergency situations due to violation of the animal transportation rules.